Why is Collagen important for healthy glowing skin?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body and is the substance that holds the whole body together. It is found in the bones, muscles, skin and tendons, where it forms a scaffold to provide strength and structure.
Some people refer to collagen as the glue that holds the body together. Without it, the body would, quite literally, fall apart.
Some Collagen Facts:
1. Protein makes up around 20% of the body's mass, and collagen makes up around 30% of the protein in the human body.
2. Collagen is most commonly found within the body in the skin, bones and connective tissues.
3. Collagen gives the skin its strength and structure, and also plays a role in the replacement of dead skin cells.
4. 30% of the Protein in your body consist of Collagen and 30% to 60% of your Skeletal Mass is made of Collagen.
5. 99% of your eye is made up of Collagen
6. Collagen production declines with age (as part of intrinsic aging), and is reduced by exposure to ultraviolet light and other environmental factors (extrinsic aging). At 25 years old collagen production starts to decline and signs of aging may start to make its appearance.
7. Controllable factors that damage the production of collagen include sunlight, smoking and high sugar consumption.
Now let's Debunk a couple of well known Facts.
1. Collagen in medical products can be derived from human, bovine, porcine and ovine sources.
TRUTH: Collagen in recent years have been harvested from Fish and other forms of sea life.
Collagen peptides from fish are considered to be superior in raising overall body collagen and improving skin, hair, nail, and bone quality.
However, Fish collagen peptides generally cost more than other sources of collagen. Which is why animal collagen is still widely used.
Animal Collagen may however cause allergic reactions.
2. Cosmetic products such as revitalizing lotions that claim to increase collagen levels are unlikely to do so, as collagen molecules are too large to be absorbed through the skin.
TRUTH: Marine collagen is extracted from cold water fish - typically something like salmon. Fish collagen is absorbed up to 1.5 times more efficiently into the body which means it has superior bioavailability over bovine or porcine types. Because it is absorbed more efficiently and enters the bloodstream more quickly it is considered the best source for your skin. It is refined to remove any fishy smells but while retaining its nutritional profile.
Okay, so now you know a bit more about Collagen!
So, let's delve a little deeper!
Collagen is secreted by a variety of different cells, but primarily by connective tissue cells. While young, the body consistently produces collagen.
Collagen production naturally declines with age, reducing the structural integrity of the skin and leading to sagging skin, the formation of lines and wrinkles and the weakening of cartilage in joints.
As mentioned earlier, Collagen production starts declining by age 25. You may start noticing some tiny laugh lines around your eyes!
By age 40 it has declined dramatically. By this time most women have given birth to their children. The changes of a woman's body during child bearing years can cause lack lustre skin development. Nutrition will usually play a role in this. Some may replenish it eventually but many won't.
Menopause through age 60, Collagen production is almost nil!
Remember, collagen is the building block to healthy skin! It also helps to regenerate new Skin cells. It keeps away the sags, wrinkles and provides the skin ability to heal itself.
So, aside from age, what else causes Collagen Damage?
1. High sugar consumption: a diet high in sugar increases the rate of glycation, a process whereby sugar in the blood attaches to proteins to form new molecules called advanced glycation end products (AGEs). AGEs damage adjacent proteins and can make collagen dry, brittle, and weak.
2. Smoking: many of the chemicals present in tobacco smoke damage both collagen and elastin in the skin. Nicotine also narrows the blood vessels in the outer layers of the skin, which reduces the delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the skin, compromising skin health.
3. Sunlight: Ultraviolet rays in sunlight cause collagen to break down at an increased rate, damaging collagen fibers and inducing the accumulation of abnormal elastin. Abnormal elastin leads to the production of an enzyme that can also break down collagen. This process can lead to the formation of solar scars. Commonly known as sun spots!
4. Autoimmune disorders: Some autoimmune disorders cause antibodies to target collagen. Mutations to the genes responsible for the coding of collagen alpha-chains can affect the extracellular matrix, leading to a decrease in the amount of collagen secreted, or to the secretion of dysfunctional mutant collagen.
Collagen levels deplete naturally over time and there is no way to prevent this intrinsic aging. However, by taking precautionary measures, it is possible to reduce extrinsic aging and protect collagen, keeping the skin, bones, muscles and joints healthy for longer.
What is the Solution to reversing the effects from loss of collagen production due to aging process or any of the aforementioned causes?
1. Replenishing the Collagen with products that contain Marine Collagen!
2. Implementing preventive regiments as early as 25 to ward off the effects from the declining body process of creating Collagen. Using products that can help provide hydration, remove dead skin cells, retain moisture and contains essential minerals and nutrients for healthy skin.
Acti-Labs provides numerous products that can help your body by helping infuse collagen back into it!
What are these products?
♡ Vitality C - contains 97.9% Marine Collagen
♡ Collagen Day or Night Cream
♡ Collagen & Kelp
♡ 3D Corrector
♡ Eye & Lip Concentrate
♡ Tightening Smoothing Base
♡ New Skin Mask
♡ CC Facewash
♡ Vesuvio Face Mask
♡ Micellar Lotion
Note: Don't go rushing to buy all of these products, lol
Not everyone has the same issues.
Diet and nutrition does play a role with skin health!
Those who tend to eat fresh fruits & Veggies as well as herbs and or take natural supplements, may not require all the products yet!
However, if you do have signs of aging and would like to start reversing the effects or want to create a preventive regiment. You may want to consider adding Beauty and Personal Care products that contain Marine Collagen.